Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Words Unspoken

Ran into an old high school classmate today completely out of the blue. Haven't seen this person in about 15 years. We were never good friends, just acquaintances. Our conversation was odd to say the least.

I will sum it up to say that this person was very surprised that I only had 1 small child at "my age." Also, this person repeatedly expressed their surprise that I did so well in high school and now have ended up back in my hometown.

...an excerpt...

C.M.: (classmate) "Is that your baby?"
Me: Yes.
C.M. (strange look) "Is that your youngest?"
Me: Yes, and my only.
C.M. (stranger look) "You only have 1 child? How old is she?"
Me: She is almost 16 months.
C.M. "Oh, okay." (C.Mate's nearly grown child comes up to him.)
Me: Her name is Sydney.
C.M. "Hmmm." (bizarre deer in the headlights look)

C.M.: "So, what are you doing back in Jasper? Weren't you like valedictorian or something?"
Me: "Uh, no I was not."
C.M.: "What was your class ranking?"
Me: "I can't really remember but, maybe #6."
C.M.: "Oh, so what are you doing back here?"
Me: "I moved back for several personal reasons."
C.M.: "Hmmm.." (weird look in the distance)

I told you the conversation was strange. I left out other interesting tidbits for the sake of brevity. You get the idea. I didn't say all the things I wanted to say to this person in response to the crazy questions and looks I received, because I am really working on keeping my mouth shut. But, for some reason, I feel the need to say them now.

"Yes sir, that's my baby, my one and only. I did not have a kid right out of high school. I went to college, got a degree, found a wonderful guy, got married, enjoyed life, visited amazing places, went to grad school, got my masters, and have held down a great job for some time now. I actually left Jasper and lived in Houston and worked with phenomenal people and students. I do realize there is a world outside of Jasper.

By the way, you have no idea what it is like to struggle for years trying to have a baby while everyone around you is popping them out like spit wads out of straw. The immense pain I went through cannot be described, but by the grace of God, I was given a miracle when there was no hope left. Yes, I am a first time mom in my thirties and there is nothing wrong with that...and just because I worked hard in high school doesn't mean I am disqualified from coming back to my hometown. This place could use a few more people with brain cells, don't you think? Why are you here and not in some huge metropolitan area pulling down 6 figures? Huh?You got any more questions for me, bub?"

There, I feel better now.

No comments: