Friday, July 26, 2013

Southern Belle Sweet Tea



This summer, I've thrown a few wing dings on the patio. At each wing ding, I make a huge container of my Southern Belle Sweet Tea. Everyone comments on how smooth and refreshing it is and how it is not too sweet, but sweet enough, and not the least bit bitter.

So, for those of you that want my recipe, here goes: It is a combination of sweet tea recipes that I have found and it has been tweaked to my liking. Super simple.

Southern Belle Sweet Tea - Yields 2 quarts (simply double for a gallon)

6 Regular size tea bags (or 2 family size)
1/8 tsp baking soda
2 cups water
1 1/4 cups sugar
6 cups cold water

1. In a large glass measuring cup, place your tea bags and baking soda.
2. Pour 2 cups of boiling water over the tea bags.
3. Cover and let it steep for exactly 15 minutes.
4. Take out the tea bags carefully and resist the urge to squeeze them.

Repeat after me, "I WILL NOT SQUEEZE THE TEA BAGS." This is what makes tea bitter.

5. Add sugar. (You may add more or less depending on your sweet tooth.)
6. Stir in sugar until it is completely dissolved.
7. Pour into pitcher. Add COLD water. Stir.
8. Let it cool at room temp, and then put in refrigerator. Serve over ice!

The method of this recipe is more important than the actual ingredients. If you measure everything out exactly, though, you will consistently get a great pitcher of refreshing sweet tea. Sometimes, I throw in the juice of 1 whole lemon, just to give it some pizazz.

Enjoy!



No comments: