Monday, February 22, 2010

Paper Bag Princess

Story Book Character Day - Galatas Elementary

I am a teacher.
More specifically, a reading teacher.
A reading teacher who went to graduate school so she could learn even more about reading.
Cause I can't get enough of the written word.
Syllables, phonemes, correct grammar and spelling, linguistics...
excite me.

I love, adore, and devour children's books.
I have a collection of over 1,500 and that excludes the 1,000 or so I've given away.
I especially love old out-of-print books that are hard to find.

One of the most wonderful smells on earth to me is an old book.
I just want to put my face in the pages and breathe in that library smell.
I want to hold that aroma inside my nose indefinitely.
I collect old Weekly Reader books from the 70's and 80's as these were the books
I cut my teeth on.
I also love to look for the deeper messages that can be found in children's books.

Today, I bring you a message from one of my most cherished books,
"The Paper Bag Princess."
This book came to my mind today, and I won't expound on why it came to my mind because I think you will figure it out.

"Ronald, your clothes are really pretty and your hair is very neat. You look like a real prince, but you are a bum."

Don't be deceived by appearances.
People can portray to be something that they are not. Don't buy into it until you see results.
The proof is in the pudding.



No comments: