Thursday, January 14, 2010

Right Decision

I have worked everyday this week (except for Tuesday and I had to go out of town for appts then) and Sydney has been camping out with her wonderful babysitters and grandparents. It has been a difficult week and getting her packed up everyday and getting me dressed and semi-presentable has proven challenging.

After bringing her home yesterday afternoon, she didn't want to do anything but sit in my lap. Just perfectly content to sit there and breathe. She then slid down from the chair and walked to her book basket. She selected a book and slapped it on my leg. Then held up her tiny arms for me to pick her up. She began to huff and puff with excitement. I read the book several times and then out of nowhere, she turned her face towards mine and kissed me delicately on the cheek.

Unsolicited, unexpected, and unbelievable.


It was the first time she's freely given me a kiss (I usually have to beg for one and roll around on the floor like a loon) so I was in shock and my heart melted into a puddle. Tears filled my eyes and I held her close. She didn't pull away.

I am so glad that I decided to cut back on my work schedule to stay at home with my baby. I made the right decision and I mean no disrespect to the working moms out there. You have to do what you have to do.

I appreciate my husband who works extra hours and takes on extra patients so I can stay home. We've cut back in several areas that some folks think they CANNOT do without. I do not buy new clothes and shoes unless absolutely necessary and no, we don't have dish network tv channels or super high speed internet. My husband is driving a vehicle with over 300,000 miles on it...but he does not care.


I've seen her first steps, felt her first tooth, and now, received her first kiss....a first I am so glad I did not miss.

No comments: