Saturday, December 26, 2009

'Twas the Night Before Christmas

When I was still at home, we had a few Christmas traditions. One of my favorite memories of Christmas Eve was listening to my dad play Christmas carols on his acoustic guitar. To this day, there is no other sound in the world that is as comforting as hearing him play. He also read the REAL Christmas story in Luke to us on Christmas Eve.

Here are a few other Christmas Traditions in the Bishop Family:

1. All presents are opened on Christmas Day, not Christmas Eve or any day prior. Christmas DAY!

2. Christmas decor is taken down, packed carefully, and put away on the afternoon of Christmas Day. Yes, Christmas Day! I was one day late this year and my Christmas didn't get put away till the day after. I'm slacking, I know.

3. It is perfectly acceptable to buy Christmas presents for any/all family pets, but only if they have been VERY good.

4. Ham is served at Christmas dinner.

5. Stockings are optional and just 'cause you hang one up doesn't mean it will magically fill up with anything!

Since we have our own little family now, I decided to start a Christmas tradition of our own. I have several friends that open up one gift on Christmas Eve and this gift contains new Christmas PJ's for having sugar plum dreams on Christmas Eve. I really liked that idea so Sydney opened up her Christmas PJ's Thursday night. She was befuddled because we had been saying, "No, Sydney" for weeks now when she approached a wrapped gift. She loved the paper and wasn't terribly enthused with the PJ's but she seemed to like the fact that she got to rip something up before bed!
I hope to include more traditions to our family as she grows older and begins to understand what Christmas is all about.

No comments: