Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Near Misses


The month of June has been a little frightening.

I have had 3 near misses.

Apparently the sign above means NOTHING to some people.

During the first week of June, I was nearly hit by a SUV at an intersection that I cross several times a day. They were FLYING and just ignored the stop sign. I had to gun the accelerator just to escape a terrible wreck. I was thankful for my V6 engine. If I had not beeng paying attention, the vehicle would have hit Sydney's door and Sydney was in the car.

Last week, I was driving in my own neighborhood and a red Honda FLEW through the intersection in front of me, completely disregarding the stop sign. I had to slam on the brakes this time and they barely missed me. They stopped in the middle of the intersection, threw up their hands as if to say, "What?" The vehicle on the other side of the intersection who witnessed this were in shock. I could see their mouths hanging open.

Yesterday, I was in a parking lot, and it happened again. A truck pulled out in front of me, pretending the stop sign wasn't there. He wasn't going very fast, but it just blew my mind that they didn't stop.

Now, I don't know why people ignore road signs. Are they too busy on the phone? Too busy texting? Too preoccupied, or just full of the devil and refusing to obey the law?

Whatever the reason, I have thanked God over and over again for his traveling graces, protecting angels, and mercy. Those accidents could've been tragic.

This is just my opinion, but I believe the Lord lifts the veil, so to speak, and allows us to see his protection every once in a while just to remind us that his angels are constantly watching over us. We feel "invincible" sometimes and lose sight of how fragile are lives really are.

Psalm 91:11-13 "For God commands the angels to guard you in all your ways. [12] With their hands they shall support you, lest you strike your foot against a stone. [13] You shall tread upon the asp and the viper, trample the lion and the dragon."

Exodus 23:20-23 "See, I am sending an angel before you, to guard you on the way and bring you to the place I have prepared."

We may never see all of the "near misses." We may never realize how many times God intervenes in our daily lives to protect us from harm.

Give Him thanks today, for all of the events that DID not happen.

...and...drive safely.
 

No comments: