Friday, June 10, 2011

Goin to the Chapel - 10 Year Flashback

It is going to take some getting used to...answering the question, "How long you two been married?" and responding, "10 years."

10 Years.

Really?

Has it really been ten years since some kookoo things happened on June 9, 2001?

This was the day I got married...and..

when 2 people threw up BEFORE/DURING my wedding.
(My mother-n-law was deathly ill that day and barely made it to the ceremony and missed the reception completely, bless her heart)
(My ring bearer got sick DURING the ceremony and had enough good sense to RUN off the platform, accidentally hitting a huge candelabra sending it spinning around like a fiery wheel of death but fortunately not falling to the ground while he made it in record time to the bathroom in the back of the church)

This was the day that...

ON THE WAY to the church, the song, "Goin' to the Chapel" began playing on the radio. Ironic?

This was the day that...

Tropical Storm Allison hit East Texas

This was the day that..

my husband was on the phone with our photographer for 6 consecutive hours trying to help him maneuver the flood waters of Houston to get to our little town and hopefully capture the once-in-a-lifetime moments of our wedding day...he made it to the church at 1:50 (the wedding was at 2:00)

This was the day that I was stressing over:

1. Did I pick the right kind of flowers?
2. Are these dresses ugly?
3. Will the candles drip wax on the church carpet?
4. Does my face look shiny?
5. Is it going to rain on my wedding day? (Answer: yes)
6. Will we have enough cake? (answer: yes, plenty, refer to #5)

10 Years later...

3 city-to-city moves later...

1 duplex, 1 town home, a one 3 bedroom house later...

7 years of infertility later...

1 two-year-old later...

2 Dearly departed grandmothers later...

1 blessed business later,

2 dead cats later,

25 pounds later,

I sit in my warm bed, laptop glowing in my face, listening to the sound of my husband snoring to my right and my miracle baby snoring to my left (in the monitor - cause over my dead body will she sleep WITH us), giving God thanks and glory.

My husband and I don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of stuff, heck we don't see ear-to-ear, or shoulder-to-shoulder for that matter, but we do share one thing. Love for each other. Puzzle pieces fit together perfectly to make a beautiful scene, but they have to be opposites in order to complete each other. That describes our 10 year marriage relationship to a tee. And I would do it all over again.

because I'd rather fight with him than love anybody else.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Great post! I love it! I like that phrase, I would rather fight with him than love anyone else! I feel the same way after 10 years!