Wednesday, August 4, 2010

And That's the Rest of the Story...

I have a new jobby job.

Working with deliriously fantastic 8th graders...11 of them to be exact.

Wonderful 8th graders who are smart cookies and will come to love and adore me as I navigate them through the fields of learning. Why? Because that's what always happens when I navigate others. Don't believe me? Well, you should.

When I resigned last year to stay home with my baby girl, I came face to face with the reality of not working.

Not working means...no group insurance, no teacher retirement, and no reason to get up and put make up on. No reason a'tall.

I ended up going back to work as a consultant 2 - 2.5 days a week. But only as a consultant, not an actual employee w/benefits and other perks.

It was real. It was fun. But I wouldn't describe it as "really fun."

I was paying big buckage for Cobra insurance through my school district. Well, guess what folks? Cobra insurance expires. Oh, yes it does. You can't be on it forever. And when you have a health history like mine, the sordid tale that it is, NO INSURANCE COMPANY in their right mind will pick you up on a private policy. My file is covered with red flags that scream, "I'm a claim waiting to happen!" My insurance company denied my application..twice. My 1 hour phone interview with the BCBS nurse told me that very quickly.

Non insurable is my name...which means...the only way I can get insurance is through a group plan and much prayer. So, I began searching for these 4 things:

1.  a half time job (after all, I do have a home business to run and a baby to wipe)
2.  health insurance (so when the rare ear cyst forms on the back of my right lobe, I can have it cut off without spending Sydney's college fund)
3.  TRS credit (so I can retire one day before I'm 73)
4.  childcare (so Sydney can romp and stomp while I teach and preach)

Within 48 hours, I had located a job at Vista Academy that afforded all of these pieces of my puzzle. Vista is a charter school in my home town. Small, focused, and exemplary. I didn't know much about it, but after much research, soul-searching, and prayer, I took the job. I work from 8:00 - 12:00 with a 30 minute conference, so I am walking out da door @ 12:30, sweetcakes.

I informed my supervisors today. They were so kind and supportive. They gave me big hugs and wished me well. My boss said, "You know what I always say...You've got to take care of yourself first so you can take care of everybody else. You are doing what is best for your family."

And I am... I have peace knowing that this is what is best for the fam, best for this season in my life, and best for yours truly.

Pass the peace please.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Well, I am very, very, very sad that you won't be with us anymore. I know that this is an answered prayer for you though. You will be wonderful!