Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ahhh...Organization!

It's confession time.
I have been struggling with an internal conflict.
But first, some background...
I live in a home that was built in the 50's which translates into medium-sized rooms and
microscopic closets/bathrooms.
I'm not complaining, just suffering from a lack of STORAGE space.
We have to be very creative with our storage, plus, the overstuffed portable building out back comes in handy.
When Sydney came along, a whole bunch of STUFF came with her...
more stuff than I care to think about it...
and since we don't know whether or not a second Chambers baby will ever enter the scene, the packrat in me finds the urge to KEEP all of her stuff, just in case...
So, organization has been haunting me, keeping me up nights (not really), and pushing my brain to the limit to
figure out how to make her room livable again.
First, a before picture...
 I just love the look on her face. It says, "Why mother...you think my room is a junk heap? Whatever makes you say such a thing?

I learned quickly that Sydney had WAY to much access to her clothing and toys. She took great delight in completely emptying her drawers and toys baskets.
Since I've already spent a MINT on baby stuff, I felt the need for ingenuity.
 Don't you love the big bands of pink elastic that secure all of the drawers?
Courtesy of my mom and her containers of miscellaneous sewing stuff.
She tries to open them, and they slide close, with the occasional finger that gets caught...a painful lesson.
Drawer Closers: $0

 Colorful cubbies to contain all of her many toys.
Cubbies: $20 (garage sale!)

AND NOW FOR MY NEW FAVORITE THING!
Behold the "dream drawer" divider.
Now that she can't get IN the drawers, I take the time to organize them.
Dream drawers - set of 4: $22.00 on Ebay
 Middle drawer are for most things worn south of the belly button.

 Here we have tops and socks.

I had to have at least one drawer that I could just TOSS things in. It's in my nature. I cannot help it.
I have a junk drawer in every room of the house and I feel it very liberating. Maybe I need counseling.

Now, on to the bedroom...oh my. It could get ugly.


No comments: