Monday, March 22, 2010

Cleansing Power, Hallelujah!

It's not often that I use my blog as an outlet for an impromptu infomercial, but I must share the latest health remedy I have discovered. You may read this and think, "She's a dolt. That's been around for years." Well, maybe so, but I'm usually the last to know about stuff, well about anything for that matter.

I inherited the gene that affects the inner workings of your sinuses from my dad. Not just the occasional seasonal sinus attacks that hit when the pollen begins to coat everything in its path, but throughout the year, I get sinus headaches that are debilitating. In my medicine cabinet, your eyes will gaze upon a plethora of nasal sprays, decongestants, and prescriptions that target the sinuses, or as my dad affectionately refers to it as, the snot locker. Because, that's what it is.

For 2 weeks now, I have dealt with sinus pain and pressure. I've gone through every medicine in the cabinet. I posted this on FB, and a couple friends suggested doing a nasal rinse.

When I first heard the term, "nasal rinse," you don't want to know what I envisioned. Upon further investigation, I discovered that it's really quite simple and has amazing results. You pour a saline solution into one side of your nose which goes into your sinus cavities and washes them clean. Sounds like a plan, eh?

I trekked to WalGreens, picked up a "Neti Pot" by NeilMed (it was even on sale) and took my treasure home. I closed the bathroom door, read the directions with great trepidation, looked at the pictures (ewww) and then with a rapidly beating pulse, gave this baby a whirl.

WARNING: THIS IS NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO DO IN THE PRESENCE OF ANYONE...ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO CAN MAKE YOU LAUGH AT THE SIGHT OF FLUID DRAINING OUT OF YOUR NOSTRIL.

There are not words to describe the burning sensation that you feel when you first use a nasal rinse. I had an IMMEDIATE flashback to swimming lessons at the YMCA when I was 7 years old. They forced us to jump off the diving board at the end of every lesson, and I never held my nose. Chlorinated pool water would shoot up my nose and burn a hole in my head. I will never forget the feeling. It always scared me to death and I thought I was going to drown. Well, I had major deja vu this weekend when using the rinse...I was right back in that pool.

Every square inch of my inner nasal contents was cleansed and immediately, the pain and pressure was gone.

A miracle. I KID YOU NOT.

I have used the rinse twice a day now for 3 days and I feel 100 times better.

Now, if the weather in Texas would just cooperate, I could get my respiratory system back in tip-top shape. Yesterday it snowed. Today, it was 75 degrees.

Why, hello again, my sweet little snot pot.


1 comment:

Leslie said...

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law have the worst sinuses and they told us about these. I never believed them until I tried it. It's a miracle worker!