Monday, January 3, 2011

Illusions of Grandeur

What is it lately with some folks? Why do people try so hard to be something they are not?

A camera does not make you a photographer.
An instrument does not make you a musician.
A dry erase marker does not make you a teacher.
A Bible does not make you a preacher.
A loud voice does not make you a radio announcer.
A mouth does not make you an orator.
A microphone does not make you a singer.
A pair of legs does not make you a dancer.
A spade does not make you a gardener.
A stethoscope does not make you a doctor.

Now, put the words "wonderful, effective, life-changing" before the last word in each sentence. Read them again.

I am grappling with this lately. I am NOT a seamstress. I am NOT a great cook. I am NOT an artist. I am NOT an interior designer. I am NOT a violin player. So, I am never going to subject you to my sewing, cooking, artwork, or my violin playing...and I am definitely not going to come rearrange your furniture!

For Pete's sake, find what God has called you to do (and he EQUIPS THOSE THAT HE CALLS) and DO IT and quit torturing the rest of us. Please.

Being in God's will is the best place to be, dontcha think?

1 comment:

Leslie said...

YES! Especially in teaching I feel like people see it as an easy job that allows them summers off so they jump on board. It's so unfair to kids to have teachers who do not love what they do, and who (honestly) are not good at it. I'm sure other professions feel the same way.