Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I Would Have Laughed

Those that know me KNOW that I am little kid person.

Not a tiny kid person, but a LITTLE kid person.

I enjoy the 7-9 year-old range for various reasons.

Mostly because they are old enough to "know" something but still young enough to be "innocent."

As a teacher, you tend to gravitate towards a particular grade level due to your personal preferences, tendencies, and multiple personalities.

If you would have told me 5 years ago that I would be teaching a SELF-CONTAINED group of 8th graders and that I would be loving every minute of it, I would have rolled in the floor laughing...literally...I would have busted a gut cackling at such a preposterous statement.

I have never been fond of barely teenagers. There is just something about this age group that is disturbing, annoying, frustrating, mysterious, inconsistent, moody, disturbing, nauseating, curious, wonderful, obstinate....did I say disturbing?

I don't know if it is because I have such a small group, or if it is the fact that I have such an interesting group, or if it is the fact that we are self-contained, or if it is the fact that we spend so much time together that we feel like a big family, or if it is the fact that I work half a day, or if it is the fact that I have completely dived headfirst off the deep end of what was left of my sanity, or if it is the fact that I work at a great school, or if it is the fact that I have found my niche. Maybe it is a combination of all of these factors. But whatever it is, I am head over heels in love with these 11 people. These 11 people with all of their mood swings, idiosyncrasies, doubts, fears, sweet gestures, crazy outbursts, and hormones. There's just something about them that helps me to enjoy my job.
So, for today, I like them and I shall savor this moment.

'Cause tomorrow I may change my mind.

No comments: