Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Finances

I have been thinking about something lately and I am wondering if anyone has thought the same thing.

I think we can all agree that the economy is pretty crummy right now. People are being RIFed and downsized and let go everywhere. The cost of gas is high. The cost of some of my favorite Wally World items has gone up. It's just yucky all the way around.

I hear people mentioning:
"It's tight right now."
"I sure could use a raise."
"Please pray that God bless me financially."
"I need a breakthrough with my finances."
"How can I use 389 coupons and walk away paying only $5.93?"

As I have reflected on these comments that I have heard from a variety of people, I can't help but wonder if people are being good stewards of their money. Are they living within their means? Are they enslaved to credit cards? Are they buying stuff they cannot pay for and paying tons of interest?

So, with love, I say these words: "Yes, I will pray that God bless you financially, if:

1. you turn off your EXPENSIVE smart phone and media package plan and get a pre-paid cheapo that simply makes and receives calls
2. trade in your gas guzzling late year model SUV that is costing you a FORTUNE each month for a good dependable used car
3. turn off your DISH network or Direct TV and watch old movies if you have to watch TV or rent one from Red Box for $1.00
4. quit eating out EVERY other night and make sandwiches at home
5. stop buying new outfits, earrings, shoes every weekend and wear something twice for a change
6. pay off your high interest credit cards and SWEAR that you will NOT finance anything unless it is a major purchase such as a car or home...nothing else is worth going into debt over. If the money is not in the bank, DON'T buy it. This goes for buying boats, four wheelers, and other unnecessary entertainment items.

Well, that's my list. If you can afford all of the above, more power to you. But if you can't afford all of the above and you are whining about your finances, get on your knees and ask God to give you the strength to make the necessary changes in your life and handle your money responsibly.

That's my sermon for today.

Now, where is the offering plate?

No comments: