Monday, November 1, 2010

Be Intolerant Part II

Follow this for a moment...

You are a shepherd. You have a beautiful flock of sheep. They are all sizes, shapes, and colors. You love them dearly and want what is best for them. You know that their world is filled with good, bad, and ugly. You want them to understand how to find the delicious grass and avoid the poisonous weeds. Your desire is that they stay next to your side, walking along the narrow path you have designed for them, and that they stay away from the muck, the mire, and the ditches.

After all, that is what a good shepherd is all about.

Now, imagine that one of your little sheep decides that they are going to choose their own path in life. They have concluded that your idea of right and wrong is not "right" for them. They wander off on their own and wind up getting sick, lost, and injured.

As a shepherd, what do you do? Well, you rush off to rescue that poor sheep and give it a stern "talking to" if necessary. There are even times when you discipline your sheep to the point of hurting their feelings or bruising their ego or even their hind parts. You care more about your sheep's life than their feelings.

Being overly tolerant of others' sins is like being an irresponsible shepherd. Now, I know that we are not all placed in a pastoral role, but as disciples of Christ, we ARE responsible for leading as many people to Christ as possible. We ARE responsible for picking our brother up, dusting him off, and gently guiding him when he falls. Yes, we ARE....whether you like it or not.

So, gone are the days of "it's not my place to say anything." Do you care more about their feelings or THEIR SOUL?

Think about it.

I thank God for the Christian friends the Lord has placed in my life that are not afraid to point out my areas of weakness. I need to know these things...because I will not face up to the facts for myself. I appreciate my folks that gently guide me when I stray. I thank GOD for them. Their guidance has literally saved my life and my soul.

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

And now, I will share with you something I have not shared before.

One of my BIGGEST fears...

Is that someone I know will be standing before the judgment seat of Christ giving their account unto God and this thought flashes through their mind, "If only somebody had just said something to me."

Have the courage to get in people's faces and tell them the truth when they need to hear it. Don't be passive. Passiveness is definitely not love. Love people enough that you can be honest and unflinching, but do it in love.

It's not being judgmental, it is being like Jesus.

No comments: