Thursday, July 8, 2010

Panic, Stress, & Petroleum Jelly

This picture gives me the creeps.
It makes me close my eyes and take a breath.
The visage of an ordinary shopping cart is forever tainted in my thoughts and dreams.
*shudder*
I will never again look at a shopping cart in the same way after yesterday.
What? You don't see it?
Look again. 
There. Do you see it now?
Do you see the evil lurking?
Do you see the maniacal madness just waiting to unleash itself on an unsuspecting child?
Do you think I've officially lost my marbles?
If you do, then you are right.
My marbles are rolling around somewhere in the Jo Ann's Fabric store in Beaumont, Texas.
Yep, my marbles are there along with minuscule shards of my nerves and shell-shocked fabric cutter people wearing cute little green aprons.

...deep breath...
Went to Beaumont yesterday to shop with my mom and her buddy.
Sydney went along.
It rained cats, dogs, and squirrels.
Literal monsoon.
Sydney was not cheerful to be in the rain.
Went to Jo Ann's fabrics so my mom and her buddy could fulfill their unquenchable desire for fat quarters, quilting needles, and McCall's patterns.
And all of those things are good things. God Bless Grandmas that sew. My love to you.
Sydney found herself browsing the aisles with Gigi.
She was in heaven.
Until we got to the checkout line and discovered that her chubby little leg
which was supposed to be here...
(child pictured not Sydney)

WAS ACTUALLY HERE!! 
Yes, her calf was wedged into that 1 1/2 inch space between two polished steel bars.
How in the world she got her leg in that spot is still a mystery.
Let me sum it up to say that is was
mayhem, hysteria, and pandemonium...
weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth...
panic, stress, and petroleum jelly...
store managers, fabric cutters, and terrified clerks...
uh..did I mention weeping and WAILING?

Several minutes (which seemed like eternity) and a greased up leg later,
my child was free.
Thanks to the quick thinking of the Jo Ann's crew and my sharp eye for finding the gap in the bars where my Houdini wedged her foot...Sydney experienced deliverance first hand.
And I experienced my first heart attack as a parent.

Which explains to you why I neglected to post yesterday.
I just wasn't ready.

But, after a good night sleep, I am ready to share my mama trauma with the world.
It is my service to you as a mama.
For the love of all that is good and holy...
Make your kid wear shoes to the store...
Even if their feet will never hit the ground...
It makes leg wedging much more difficult.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

if it's the buddy we're thinking of, we DO LOVE grandmas that sew!! :) Sam and Hunter have some great stuff from Nana! Hope your heart has gone back to it's proper place, not your throat, and glad you guys are okay.

Sharon said...

I was in Beaumont that same day and also in Jo Ann's...not at the same moment you were or there would have been more hysteria. I would not have been calm! So glad everything is ok.