Monday, April 20, 2009

Postpartum "Blues" Jeans



I did the unthinkable today. I bought my first pair of in-between jeans. You know...the jeans that are smaller than your maternity jeans, but still considerably larger than the jeans you wore before pregnancy. I figured that I had to have something without a 4 inch elastic waist band hugging my sagging and stretch-marked tummy. What a shocker... There is nothing like a lesson in facing reality than looking at a number in a pair of jeans that are not interwoven with the spandex/elastic blend. It's been a while since I "buttoned" something at the waist...sheesh.

Don't get me wrong, the weight is gradually coming off and I am working at it, but I can't very well ride a motorcycle in sweatpants, now can I?

Buying these double digit jeans today reminded me of how we sometimes tell ourselves our own version of reality. We don't want to face the facts in areas of our lives that need desperate attention. Whether it be finances, relationships, career choices, or most importantly... our spiritual growth, there comes a time to "bite the bullet" and come to terms with way things REALLY are. The truth can be ugly, painful, and shocking...no doubt. Without this reality check, we would continue to exist in our mediocre state, refusing to see what is right in front of us. I want to ask God to search my heart, even those places I think are hidden, and reveal what I need to see. Only then will I know what size I "really" wear and then take the steps to make positive change in my life.