Sunday, September 20, 2009

Wal-Mart Fall Apart

95% of the time Sydney is a joy to be around. She has been a happy baby from the very beginning. I guess I knew it was coming. How many times have I been in the store and pitied the poor mothers who have a squawling, inconsolable child yanking on them. I think to myself, "I'm glad my baby is so happy." Well, eventually, even the sweetest and most content child is going to have the Wal-Mart meltdown. My day was Friday afternoon around 3:30, you know, one of the busiest times you can be in Wally World. She was her regular, content, babbling self and for whatever reason (I still cannot target the trigger) she began to scream like a banchee. Nothing I did helped...binky, bottle, toys, taking her out of the floppy seat and holding her, talking to her, whispering in her ear...nothing. I still had 4 things left on my list, but ignored them and headed straight for the checkout. I grabbed the Puffs that were in the cart, ripped those bad boys open (something I SWORE I'd never do) and started shoveling them in her gaping mouth. Well, she couldn't scream and chew at the same time, so the noise leveled off and she begin to gnaw on the Puffs. With a sigh of relief, I dumped items on the belt while at the same time keeping the Puffs coming, fast and furious. By the time we got to the car, she had calmed down, but as I'm driving down the road, I'm reaching into the backseat trying to find her mouth in which to drop a piece of instant gratification. Good heavens. I had never been so happy to see my driveway.

I survived our first Wal-Mart Fall Apart. (I'm sure it won't be the last.) New mothers...if it hasn't happened already, GET ready...your day is coming.

No comments: