Monday, March 4, 2013

A Birth Story...5 Months later

Has it been 5 months that I delivered this angelic bundle of sheer delight?


Yes, it has.

With Sydney, my epidural was given too late and didn't take till after delivery. I felt everything and when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING.

I wasn't making the same mistake twice, 'cause my mama didn't raise no dummy. So, for posterity's sake, here is Christa Kay's story...every gory detail.

Syd came 5 weeks early. Christa Kay was fully baked. I carried her nearly 39 weeks and my body was about to go kaput.

In my mind, I was ready to delivery CK in early September, late August, mid-June...somewhere along those lines, but I knew that a hot, summer-time, full 9 month, pregnancy was before me. I was doing well and did not have as many complications as with Syd. My blood pressure was beginning to creep up along with my swelling, so things were getting a little uncomfortable in late August.

We moved into our new home on a warm 115 degree day in late August with my belly swollen out like a tractor inner tube. Nobody let me pick up anything, which, I happily obliged.

After a 24 hour protein test on October 3 that came back "high" on October 4th, my sweet doctor called at 8:30 that morning and said, "It's GO time! Come to the hospital!"

Well, you didn't have to tell me twice. I jumped in the shower, shaved my legs (I think those were my legs cause I couldn't see 'em), blow-dried my hair, threw on a moo moo dress, and hit the road. I was happier than a pig in a mud wallow, and looked like one too. I was evicting this tummy tenant!

On the way to the hospital, Chris and I chatted happily about everything under the sun. About 10 minutes away from the hospital at approximately 11:15 a.m., I looked at him and said, "I'm gonna be sick." At 11:16, I was sick...in the car...and Chris nearly joined me. Well, that was weird.

We checked into the hospital at 11:30. They started my Si-Tech (sp?) at 12:00 for the induction.

My mom arrived around 12:30 wanting to know when the baby was gonna get here. My hubs told her, "Who knows? Could be tomorrow or late tomorrow night."

At 1:30, both my mom and hubs got bored sitting around my room watching me look at the ceiling and went out for lunch. At 1:55, I heard the AUDIBLE sound of my water breaking and thought, "Somebody sure is clumsy out in the hall." Uh, the popping sound was not a nurse dropping something in the hallway, that's for sure.

At 2:00, a nurse checked on me and said, "You need something for pain, 'cause we're watching your monitors and you're having some pretty good contractions." I said, "Uh, not really...I'm cool."

At 2:30, my mom and hubs decided to come back to the hospital after eating and shopping (respectively) and I informed them my water had broken. My nurse then came to check me and said if I was gonna do an epidural, now was the time. I said,"Hook me up, sista," without hesitation.

After the epi, I was ready to sing show tunes and run a marathon. I was still feeling pretty good and was ready for action.

So, for the next hour or so, labor was uneventful (at least for me) and around 5:00, my doc slid in there at the nick of time, caught Christa Kay, and she came out hollering and ready for her mama.

There was nothing to it. I was shocked. So, THIS is the glory of an epidural that actually works. Wowza.

Christa Kay arrived healthy, pink, screaming, and ready to eat. It was just like the movies...they laid her on my chest immediately after delivery, her squinty eyes seeing the bright lights of this world for the first time, my husband by my side, my mom and dear friend Kay watching nearby. Yes, it could not have been more wonderful.

Sydney came out blue and struggling. I did not get to see her until several hours after her birth. Her Apgar scores were horrendous. It was scary.

Christa Kay has been a wonderfully easy baby. She is happy 98.9% of the time, coos, smiles, giggles, and laughs. She eats well, sleeps well, and adapts to new situations.

She and her sister are as different as daylight and dark. But, they are both my sweeties, and I wouldn't trade 'em for the world.

Happy 5 Month Birthday, CK!


No comments: