Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What anniversary?


It wasn't until 5:30 Tuesday afternoon that I realized that it was my 8 year anniversary. GOOD LAWD! Can you believe that I forgot my own anniversary? Chris and I have been working like fiends and come home just in time to grab a bite to eat, bathe/feed the kid, and collapse into the bed, just to get up the next morning at 6:00 a.m. to start all over again. This working and having a little baby is for the birds! I really don't know how working moms do it. I applaud them! I have just 1 more day of work until I am officially a SAHM.


June 9, 2001 seems like such a very long time ago. I remember it was the weekend that tropical storm Allison made landfall and the flooding was horrible. It was called, "the most extensive tropical storm in US history." Sections of major highways in Houston were shut down. Our photographer (who was coming from Houston) almost didn't make it and the weather was so bad, that many of our wedding guests never arrived. Rain, rain, rain, and very humid and muggy. No one wants rain on their wedding day, well, baby, we got it. My friend Jenny (who was getting married on the same day) actually had to CANCEL her wedding. She had a stand up ceremony, left for her honeymoon, and then a month later, had her shindig. UNREAL! She said it was miserable b/c she couldn't eat much on her honeymoon cause she knew she had to get into her wedding dress when she came back.
I've heard an old wives tale that if it rains on your wedding day, your marriage will last a long time. Well, Chris and I will be married till we both bite the dust, if that's the case. We had enough wedding cake to eat for weeks and weeks. I was a little disappointed in the turn out, but with a near hurricane hitting Texas, what can you expect? I'm glad the marriage is not about the wedding. I think the wedding is just so the bride can be a princess for at least one day in her life, and that's about it. I think 99.9% of men would just rather do a "stand up, sit down, get out of here ceremony."
Who knew it would take 8 years to become Sydney's parents, but I wouldn't trade those wonderful years of just the two of us being together...traveling, laughing, crying, enjoying life, riding Harleys, pinching pennies, putting each other through school, growing spiritually, and learning those hard life lessons. I love you, Chris!

Here's to many more anniversaries...that I hopefully will not forget.

No comments: